Frost in Morrowind

Edward Frost's time in Morrowind has come to an end; but his struggles are recorded here for any to read. A year in the making, and spanning one hundred and fifty chapters… Violence, suspicion, loss, betrayal, revenge, power with a price, a fight for survival, ages-old mysteries... all thrust in the way of Edward Frost, a man simply trying to rebuild his life.

Chapter 1 can be found here.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Chapter 79: I see you with MY EYE!

"Dagoth Ur is risen - he is HERE, always HERE! You cannot deny your LORD!" The Dunmer woman was obviously quite mad, but her choice of words were unnerving... "Edward Frost! You will not deny the LORD!"

I started at the use of my name. I had never met the raving woman before, at least as far as I could remember; and I was not especially well-known around Maar Gan.

"Why have you denied your Lord, Edward Frost? He is the Lord and our Father of the Mountain. He sleeps, but when he wakes, we shall rise from our dreams and sweep the land clean of the n'wah. Listen close, outlander; for when he wakes, this will be no place for you. As Lord Dagoth has said, 'all shall greet him as flesh, or as dust'. Why do you deny your LORD?"

I looked about me for some other person - someone who might know the disturbed woman - but the streets were deserted in the encroaching ash-storm. In any case, I thought I knew already what was happening to her. She was one of the people Folms had told me of: a Dreamer...

"Risen we are! The Sixth House is risen, and Dagoth is its Lord!"

That gave me pause, and set my mind racing. Did she just say 'Sixth House'? The same Sixth House Caius had me investigating?

"Wait, Sera!" I finally found my voice; "The Sixth House? What do you know of them?"

She answered, after a fashion, but it was as if she could not hear me:

"The Sixth House, the Sleeping House, House DAGOTH, the House of the Lord DAGOTH! The true house, the one house to welcome all Dunmer, and drive the n'wah from the land."

I was struck dumb, unable to form a plan of action. The Sixth House, Dagoth Ur, the insane, naked Dunmer (or 'Dreamers') I had fought: were they all connected? A gust of wind sighed past us, bringing with it the dry, bitter scent of ash. I felt I was running out of time... Folms had told me that Dreamers disappeared in ash-storms, slipping away from the lives and the people they knew, to never be seen again.

The woman and I both glanced at the approaching storm, rushing across the open, blasted plains towards Maar Gan. When we turned back to one another, the disturbed woman's eyes, which had taken on a wild aspect up until that point, now seemed to harbour a silent plea for help. Without another word, she turned and ran; heading for the edge of town.

In a great booming rush, the billowing clouds of ash swept in behind me, blanketing the village in a choking, ashen gloom in an instant, and obscuring the woman from view. I gave chase, but without luck: I could find no trace of her in the storm. I stood for the longest time, squinting into the blinding storm for some glimpse of her, but there was nothing. At one point I thought I heard the faint words "You shall not DENY!" whip past my ears, but I could not tell their source in the blowing gale.

"Wait! Come back!" I shouted into the storm, my mouth filling with ash, my words lost in the roaring winds.


Back in the village, I remained hunched over a public water-pump for a time, letting the drifting sheets of ash pour over my back as I rinsed the ash from my mouth, nose and eyes. I felt I had failed: I had failed Caius; since the woman might have told us about the Sixth House. I had failed the woman's family and friends. Most of all though, I had failed her. I could have stopped her - kept her from escaping to a life of naked, bestial squalor in the filth and horror of a place like Telasero or Falasmaryon.

After a while I carried on with my original reason for being in Maar Gan: paying a visit to Tashpi Ashibael, the woman Steward Ranis accused of necromancy. A bonemold-clad guardsman held the door open for me as I entered the local tavern. He was supposed to be on duty out on the streets, but was taking shelter just inside the front entrance until the worst of the ash-storm blew over. He had some illuminating things to say about Tashpi:

"A necromancer?" He snorted. "Who told you such muck? She's a healer! Here, look at this." The Dunmer guard unstrapped one of his bonemold bracers, and showed me his bared forearm. "A thrice-cursed wild kagouti - mad as a marsh rat with disease it was - once almost took my arm right off. Mangled it real bad. D'you see the mark?"

I studied his silver-skinned arm. It appeared perfectly smooth and unblemished to me; I wasn't quite sure what he wanted me to see.

"I'm... afraid I can't actually see anything, sorry." I raised my eyebrows at him.

"Yes, exactly!" He exclaimed. "Exactly right! Not even a mark left now: Tashpi healed it just like that. She's a gift from the gods to the Maar Gan guards - I'll tell you right now! And I won't have anyone saying she's some kind of depraved dark artist!"

He was becoming quite suspicious of my intentions, so in the end I explained my position regarding Ranis' orders (not using her name or mentioning the Mages Guild directly). The guardsman, who obviously felt quite strongly for Tashpi, appeared quite alarmed at the notion that someone wanted the healer dead. He asked me to go warn her. Actually, to tell the truth he was about to go warn her himself, but through use of my Charm spell I persuaded him that that wouldn't be necessary.

I had to satisfy myself that Tashpi Ashibael really posed no threat - and at the same time attempt to satisfy my burning curiosity as to why Ranis wanted her dead.


"A - a necromancer?" Tashpi, a young-looking Dunmer woman, looked confused and worried. "But - who said this? I'm not a necromancer!"

Upon hearing my explanation, the healer remained silent for a moment, staring into the middle distance. Eventually she sighed, and said:

"She's hated me since I refused to join the Mages Guild, and stayed to be a healer for my people. If she's held a grudge this long, and feels so strongly to send you to... to... Then... I'll have to leave - go to the mainland. Some town there will need a healer." She paused, looking around at her sparsely-furnished home. "Since I'm Velothi - descended from Ashlanders," she added by way of explanation - "and not well-born like Ranis, there's not much else I can do."

She gave me a beseeching look.

"You'll tell her you killed me, won't you? So she'll leave me alone?"



As I made to teleport back home, leaving Tashpi to arrange for her departure, I realised that my jaw was beginning to ache from clenching my teeth. I was furious.

That was it - I was through with Ranis and her vicious, self-serving games. No more.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Powerful stuff. I never thought much of the dreamers until these last few chapters.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 1:15:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Temper Temper Frosty don't go and kill the puppet master pulling your invisable strings.

Will Frosty ever go to the land were monsters are bigger then even you?

Oh what a grand way you weave thse words! Truly it is poetry that is not poetry!

Will Frosty walk the path of twlight? No the land is corropt and tainted for on to see the twilight.

Will he walk in night? seeing only the terrors that brings and the pain he must cause to survive?

Perhapes he will walk in the light? A puppet with strings that the light hids?

Will the light blind his world or will the darkness shroud the good from his world?

We shall see. We shall see...

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 8:47:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and great Title

I see you with MY EYE!

I should have thought of that...

I mean I did make that up! GET OUT OF MY HEAD DAMN YOU!

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 8:51:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matar.... You're... Weird...

I want to shout "STOP ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT THE STORY'S FUTURE! GAAAAHHHH! JUST STOP IT AND READ!!! DIVULGING THE FUTURE OF FROST RUINS THE STORY! STOP ASKING ABOUT IT! AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!"



But don't worry, I won't.

Thursday, January 26, 2006 8:43:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I see you with MY EYE!" hah lol! funny title.
also...JOIN HOUSE TELVANNI
sorry thats something like a ritual with me every time i post a comment here-even if you say outright "NO", i still wont stop. :)

anyway-good chapter. is he gonna slap ol' ranis silly? that'd be funny!

Thursday, January 26, 2006 9:02:00 am  
Blogger Joseph said...

Yes; even if you ask in the form of poetry, Matar, I'm not going to give spoilers. :-P

The title of this chapter is a reference to a certain piece of scrawled parchment you can find in Morrowind...

"I see you with MY EYE!
And all is SILENCE!"

- Joseph.

Thursday, January 26, 2006 11:35:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THE SKIES ARE RED WITH FURY!

My lord!

Scorn those who scoff at Him!

The ones who dream!

Bless the storms of crimson!

Winds of ash!

His mark of disease burns me with titillation!

Blood of Divine!

My flesh swells with joy!

I consume it!

I am His servant of blissful madness!

I dream his dreams!

Render me hideous!

Beauty in his eyes!

Let my beauty transform into faithfulness!

I am his child!

Bring me closer to His divine power!

My lord!

And let my body become His tool!

My master!

He is Lord!

He is our Father!

Est Deus Furoris!

Faithful bow in his presence!

Sinful rot to dust in his wake!

The False ones flee in terror!

Cry to the skies and rejoice!

The hour is nigh to drive out the mongrels!

My madness only sends me further into bliss!

Open my Eye, and let me see what you see!

MY FATHER!

MY LORD!

Thursday, January 26, 2006 3:25:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, well, well. I liked this chapter, finally Mr. Edward Frost will deal with the vile, the putrid, the disgusting, and all-around evil Ranis Athrys of the Balmora Mage's Guild. Oh, and a lot of other interesting things happened of course.

Thursday, January 26, 2006 11:15:00 pm  
Blogger Tim said...

Well I can see I have a reading project on my hands. From the first couple chapters I can see that this is a tale that cannot be ignored!

Joseph, after six months of writing you have my greatest respect...

Friday, January 27, 2006 3:24:00 am  
Blogger Joseph said...

Thankyou very much Tim! That means quite a lot to me. :-) I've been reading your Morrowind Journal for a long time - as I mentioned on your site (http://timsup2nothing.blogspot.com) - and I'll just say this: you make it seem effortless.

I think I can only dream of having your ability to expand and portray characters and situations so realistically and entertainingly.

- Joseph.

Friday, January 27, 2006 4:41:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what would be funny?If Ranis and Frost got together!LOL!!

Friday, January 27, 2006 12:27:00 pm  
Blogger Joseph said...

No worries, Lazyscamp - there are a few similarities between our stories, after all; and Tim's came first.

As for the Indybank mod, I did consider it, but it's not needed now - Edward uses that secret vault in Wolfen Castle to store his valuables in; including his money. :-)

Thanks for the compliments, too.

- Joseph.

Saturday, January 28, 2006 12:04:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home