Frost in Morrowind

Edward Frost's time in Morrowind has come to an end; but his struggles are recorded here for any to read. A year in the making, and spanning one hundred and fifty chapters… Violence, suspicion, loss, betrayal, revenge, power with a price, a fight for survival, ages-old mysteries... all thrust in the way of Edward Frost, a man simply trying to rebuild his life.

Chapter 1 can be found here.

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Chapter 120: A path no-one wants

I was sure of my path. I was almost convinced that what awaited me in the Ilunibi sea-caverns was the same scene of grisly, horrific death and corruption I had found in Telasero and Falasmaryon. If my suspicions were confirmed, I would destroy those responsible - and I would do what I could to save any of those poor Dreamers I might find; if they were not too far gone.

Yes: for once, I was sure that I should follow Caius' orders - but Sirilonwe was not.

"Are you serious?" She asked after we had left Fort Buckmoth and teleported back to the castle. "After what she told us about that poor, diseased trooper; how can you think of going there?"

She was afraid of the disease. This was not something to be ashamed of: Corprus was a scary thing. I was about to remind her that it had been I that had, in the first place, argued against her coming with me on the mission - but thought better of it. It was beside the point.

"I am a vampire." I said with a shrug. "I cannot become diseased. And besides, from what Raesa said, I think I've been in places like it before - before I was a vampire, too. I've told you about Telasero." I reminded her quietly. "I must go."

But my partner was not to be discouraged.

"You only have that... Dhaunayne's word that disease won't affect you. Do you want to end up like that soldier? Think about it seriously." She paused, hoping to let her point sink in, I think. "We need more information."

I turned from her, unrolling my map of Vvardenfell and directing my attention to the Bitter Coast region. Raesa Pullia did not know exactly where this Sixth House base was: only that it was somewhere near the fishing village of Gnaar Mok.

"I don't think -" I said as I ran my finger up the island's south-western coastline - "that we'll do much better than an account from a trooper who saw the inside of the place." My finger stopped in place as something occurred to me. "Although..."

Studying the Bitter Coast section of the map had reminded me of my excursion through that area during the early weeks of my time on Vvardenfell. It was then that I had met that strangely sardonic spirit: Thynim Velos was his name... wasn't it? The surname 'Velos' was right, in any case: as looking closely at my map, I could see the place where I had marked on it the words 'Velos Ancestral Tomb'.

The spirit of Velos was the guardian of the 'Amulet of Scrye': a magical item that supposedly allowed the bearer to call upon any spirits that might be nearby, and talk to them. Previously, I had been too scared and distrustful of the amulet to even think of returning to the Velos family tomb and attempting to claim it - but maybe I could use the thing to speak with the spirit of that recently deceased trooper. If the amulet worked, that is.

Sirilonwe agreed to my idea; almost eagerly - reminding me of her studies into the 'minds' of spirits and the undead. We were already dressed for travel (with the possibility of battle) - Sirilonwe in what was now her volcanic glass armour, and I in my blackened Shadow Lord armour - so we went to see Folms right away. The Hlormaren Velothi stronghold was closest to the tomb, but after the Dunmer enchanter sent us there, we still had a fair stretch of swamp to traverse.


We were heading south towards Hla Oad (the Velos tomb was in the hills to the north-east of the village), picking our way between the pools of putrid water, when we were attacked. Three, alien-smelling vampires surged out of what had been (up until that point) perfectly still, stagnant water - surrounding us.

I had been careless. The vampires - two Imperial women and a Dunmer man - had obviously seen us coming: but I had not seen them. Vampires do not breathe, so it was easy for them to lie in wait under the water until we passed. These vampires were certainly had no friendly intentions towards me - and they were fast: as fast as me - if not faster.

Sirilonwe wrapped herself in magical flames, and used that (plus the occasional swipe with her Daedric wakizashi) to hold them off, but that was all she could do: she simply wasn't fast enough. It was the long reach of my elegant Daedric katana that won the fight: I cut at the other vampires until they had lost so much blood they could no longer stand - and then I finished them.

Panting, and letting the magical flames subside, Sirilonwe tapped her chest and said, with a re-affirming nod:

"I need this... 'disease'. They were too fast. If you weren't here..."

But she left the thought unfinished, and we carried on until we reached the Velos Ancestral Tomb.


The Amulet of Scrye was in exactly the same place as it had been when I first found it: sitting on a stone plinth in the centre of the tomb. The harsh, menacing whispering began the moment I picked the amulet up: voices begging me to look at them - to listen to them. The dusty book that had taught me the 'Scrye' spell was still there on the plinth too, and after reminding myself of the particulars of the spell, I went through the motions of casting it.

"VAMPIRE!" The glowing, big-eared spirit of Velos screamed at me; seeming to have appeared out of nowhere. "BEGONE, VILE... but wait - you're the silly little boy who claimed he wasn't a necromancer!" For an instant, and despite his initial outburst, I thought the spirit was going to be helpful. But then: "I sent you to kill an evil, foul vampire - and now look at you! It looks as if I had you pegged aright from the beginning."

A swelling, buzzing noise began to sound beneath the spirit's voice, and I noticed that he was starting to glow more brightly.

"What makes you think -" his voice boomed louder and louder with each word, his ghostly form inflating to a massive size, filling the whole chamber - "that I would traffic with a deviant SUCH AS YOU? LEAVE!"

And before I could utter even a word, the amulet was yanked from my grip and disappeared - along with Velos' spirit.

I realised Sirilonwe was squeezing my arm.

"Are you alright?" She asked. "You were staring at nothing there for a moment."

"You - you didn't see that?" I was surprised; the spirit had filled the whole chamber with its noise and light.

Sirilonwe shook her head.

"Oh. Well... he said no."


After hearing the news that we would not be receiving the aid of the Amulet of Scrye, I decided it was time to resume the original mission: find the Ilunibi sea-caverns, and destroy the Sixth House cultists there. I felt a sense of urgency: if I took too long, the Sixth House members would - after the attack by the Imperial Legion squad on their base - likely flee the caves and take up residence elsewhere. That, or they might summon reinforcements...

Folms was kind enough (considering we woke him up) to teleport us to the Andasreth stronghold, halfway up the western coast from the Velos Ancestral Tomb. Andasreth was only a little way north of Gnaar Mok: only some crumbling hills and coastal bluffs - and a small, marshy cove - separated them. Sirilonwe still accompanied me as I picked my way over the windblown bluffs - but she was not at all happy that I still intended to enter the Sixth House base, and remained silent until we reached Gnaar Mok; some time after midnight.

I was also in a bad mood after the encounter with Velos' spirit, so while Sirilonwe stood out in the village square shaking her head slowly to herself, I (deciding on a direct approach) magically unlocked the door on one of the shacks and went inside to ask the sleeping locals for directions.

"I'm looking for Ilunibi caves." I informed the terrified Dunmer man, who was shrinking back into the corner of the small room, his bed-covers pulled up to his neck. "Do you know where they are?"


Armed with directions to the sea-caverns, we left Gnaar Mok a few minutes later and carried on our way. The caves were actually located more-or-less back the way we had came; at the north-west tip of the promontory Gnaar Mok was built upon. Before long we found it.

A rotting, moss-covered wooden door hanging across a dark fissure in the low hill marked the entrance - and the faint smell of rotting flesh that seeped out marked it as exactly what I been expecting. Sirilonwe had remained silent up until then, but at the sight of the cave entrance, she renewed her efforts to dissuade me. She was beginning to sound desperate:

"Edward, please..." The expression on her face was almost enough to crack my resolve, and make me take her advice.

"I'll use magic." I assured her. "They won't get close enough to touch me. But... I have to go. And you have to stay here. Please, Siri: watch this entrance for me. Stop anyone coming in behind me. We'll meet back at the castle if anything goes wrong, alright?"

She refused to look at me as I pulled the door open and disappeared into that foul place; but I was glad she had stayed outside.

Inside the sea-caverns was worse than I had feared.

39 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

haakon's lucky break is a blunt weapon which boosts your luck.
I think it's located on the bottom of lake fjalding.

Sunday, April 30, 2006 7:13:00 pm  
Blogger Joseph said...

Just a note: The spirit refused to give the Amulet of Scrye to Edward because his reputation stat wasn't high enough - and this is despite him being Arch-Mage of the Mages Guild, and highly ranked in the Temple. In dialogue, the spirit said he "wasn't loved enough by the people" (paraphrasing) - and given that he's a vampire, I suppose that isn't so surprising! ;-)

So - sorry Ivza, but I can't follow your mod any further in this story.

- Joseph.

Sunday, April 30, 2006 7:52:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For Boethiah Shrine/Goldbrand...
Your first cue is Tolvise Othralen in Arrille's Tradehouse in Seyda Neen. By asking Tolvise the latest rumors, she says, "My cousin claimed he saw a city in the water near Gnaar Mok. He's a drunkard, though, and speads too much time in the sun." The second is, M'aiq the Liar, he givesd the topic, Shrine of Boethiah, M'aiq says
"You seek the shrine that is no longer there? An interesting concept. Look to the seas to the West. There lies what was once the shrine. Take a deep breath and begin your search." Once you find this shrine follow your jounral to compelte the new shrine and getting Goldbrand!!!

Sunday, April 30, 2006 11:02:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Correct! I't's a Silver Staff with a high fortify luck enchantment.

My heart leaped as I started to read, but was then crushed by overwhelming dissapointment at the words- "What makes you think that I would traffic with a deviant SUCH AS YOU? LEAVE!"- I really wanted to hear about the Amulet of Scrye. But it was a clever way to add it in.

Oh well. I can't wait to read about Edward's conversation with Dagoth Gares.

Morrowin Trivia - How do you acquire Variner's Ring?

Monday, May 01, 2006 1:47:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww. Man I could not get that damn amulet ether.

Damn reputaion of only 3...

Monday, May 01, 2006 8:44:00 am  
Blogger Mindstroller said...

Nice chapter, i like your depiction of Siri's fear.

OBLIVION TRIVIA!

What is the importance of the Inn of Ill Omen?

Monday, May 01, 2006 9:42:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mindstroller: The Inn of Ill Omen is the inn where you kill the old man Rufio as an initiation into the Dark Brotherhood.

To the person who asked where Umbra was, she is in an Ayleid ruin called Vindasel. You must kill her and recover her sword Umbra in the daedric quest Clavicus Vile.

-Noozooroo

Monday, May 01, 2006 11:55:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noozooroo: Correct! When you are given the choice to return the sword the Clavicus, I didn't. Not because I was listening to the dog or anything, I just wanted to keep it. :)

Monday, May 01, 2006 1:21:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i didnt know she gave you eltonbrand btw. i did the quest and then i just went back to my house and got the 11711 in gold after dropping 387,400 gold...grr and it just appeared. so im confused.

Monday, May 01, 2006 1:49:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok person here is your next trivia question.

TRIVIA: What is the name of the weapon and its abilities that Captain Varro is carrying in Fort Moonmoth?

Monday, May 01, 2006 2:04:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

variners ring is a ring which gives you 0-50pt charm.
you aquire it in a mission in the sewers of mournhold

Monday, May 01, 2006 4:45:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Correct!

The Claymore that Larrius Varro is carrying is called Tamreki Shackler of Souls and absorbs strength (and endurance?) and casts soultrap upon striking an enemy.

Morrowind Trivia - Where is the Vampire Calvario?

Monday, May 01, 2006 7:57:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand, Joseph. The reputation was supposed to be over 15 before they agree to let you have the amulet -- which I admit to perhaps be a bit overkill. I think the whole reputation value is a bit questionable anyway -- I don't really know which quests increment that, as I just took a look at what the reputation for my main character was at the time I made the mod (60 something, I think) and put in a value I thought to be low. On the other hand, I doubt the rather mundane quests the mod had would've fit in your storyline anyway -- let alone be fit for a vampire to deal with :)

So, it's not necessarily a bad thing that things turned out the way they did.

Monday, May 01, 2006 8:44:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

calvario is a vampire in the nerano tomb in the grazelands

Monday, May 01, 2006 9:34:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep.

Morrowind Trivia - Where can you find the entire series of 'A Dance in Fire'?

Monday, May 01, 2006 9:58:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

at jobasha's rare books in the foreign quarter

Monday, May 01, 2006 10:02:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

alrighty...i dont think i can stump u nerds :P but ill try.


TRIVIA: Where is the Staff of Magnus located?

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 12:53:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a staff you acquire from the one of the missions Ajira gives you once you get to the rank of warlock. Does'nt it boost your resistance to majicka? Or does it increase Spell Absorbtion?

Now, for my trivia: Why does Umbra want to die?

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 1:43:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TRIVIA: WHERE is the Staff of Magnus located?

umbra wants to die because he doesnt believe that anyone is strong enough to kill because of all the thngs he has done in his life. he hopes you are strong enough to kill him.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 3:50:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Staff of Magnus is located in Assu, just past the Mt. Kand Cavern. And more precisely, Umbra (in Morrowind) wants to die because there is nothing left to do for him in this life. He wants to die like a warrior, but hasn't found anyone capable of killing him.

Trivia: Where is Gambolpuddy? And who tells you exactly where it is?

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 5:31:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gambolpuddy is under a pillow in Ald Daedroth. in the Ante chamber (not sure?!?!) next to the orcs and the scamp. I know it is one of those weird shrine quests but im not really sure how to activate it.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 5:47:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MORROWIND TRIVIA: Where can you find the three notes left behind by the dead man? It is a generic question, but I'll give you a hint: You need one of the expansion packs to get the third one.

OBLIVION TRIVIA: In the Ayleid ruin Vilverin, what is the name of the bandit who smells bad? Hint: It is written down in the ruin somewhere.

-Noozooroo

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 9:50:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Correct! You can also find the 'A Dance in Fire' books in the Captains quarters in Fort Frostmoth.

Damn. I've missed out on a fair bit.

Noozooroo - Which Dead man BTW?

Morrowind Trivia - What is the name of the ship docked outside Vos?

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 11:31:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a dream tonight where Siri become finally a vampire, i found it a rather intresting dream =D

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 6:12:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

._.


Ooook...

I'm just going to stand in the corner now...

._.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 7:41:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually Siri was awfully hungry in my dream, but she didn't know where to get blood, so she was very uppset

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 9:23:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're scary

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 12:11:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Person: The notes never say, it is like a dead man is a ghost and he wrote about the last thing he felt.....if that helps any...

OBLIVION TRIVIA: In the Ayleid ruin Vilverin, what is the name of the bandit who smells bad? Hint: It is written down in the ruin somewhere.

-Noozooroo

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 12:51:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

one note is in the tomb where you get the staff of hasedoki,
another is in the mournhold sewers.can't remember the last one.. anyway those notes are sad.

but i'm not sure if you mean these notes at all that hint was'nt so clear

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 2:23:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

btw how do you drop items on oblivion ?

nooby question ;)

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 2:31:00 am  
Blogger Mindstroller said...

shift click on pc, dunno for 360 version

OBLIVION TRIVIA!

What can Goblin totem Staffs be used for (to cause much hilarity and chaos)?

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 6:08:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok I'm bad at trivia......the notes are in a bottle at sea off of the northeastern corner of Vvardenfell, in the abandoned shack outside of Gnaar Mok, and for sale at the Raven Rock trader....

OBLIVION TRIVIA: In the Ayleid ruin Vilverin, what is the name of the bandit who smells bad? Hint: It is written down in the ruin somewhere.

-Noozooroo

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 8:23:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm.. I'm not sure I can answer that because I'm not sure which notes you mean. Sorry :(

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 9:08:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mindstroller: Goblin totem staffs can be stolen from the specific goblin clan (sharptooth, etc.) and if you drop it then the goblins will go to any lengths to get it back. You can have more than one totem for more than one tribe, and the tribes will fight each other if they see each other.

-Noozooroo

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 10:44:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehehe. That sounds fun.

Note to self - steal many tribal staffs and place them all next to each other.

Morrowind Trivia - What is the name of the ship docked outside Vos?

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 2:55:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks mindstroller

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 3:14:00 pm  
Blogger Joseph said...

Thanks everyone!

Person: I was disappointed too. Especially after straining my brain to come up with that clever ( ;-) ) way to get Frost to go back after the amulet.

Ivza: Sorry again, anyway. I was curious to see what your mod has to offer. And incidentally, I think I read somewhere that the reputation stat is increased by (among other things) completing certain quests in certain ways. I could be thinking of disposition gains among fellow faction members, though.

Moonike: I'm quite flattered that Frost in Morrowind has gotten into your head so much that you're dreaming about it. :-)

On dropping objects in Oblivion: this is covered in the manual, but apart from shift-clicking, as Mindstroller said, you can also click-and-hold on the item for a second or two. This will exit the inventory and let you move/throw the item around with havok physics; as if you had used the 'grab' button on an item in the world.

- Joseph.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 4:21:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh well. Doesnt matter too much, Joseph. Maybe you can come back to it later? I know of a few quests that raise rep if you wanted to know.


Morrowind Trivia - What is the name of the ship outside Vos?

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 7:10:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the ship outside vos is named falvillo's endeavor.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 10:42:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home