Frost in Morrowind

Edward Frost's time in Morrowind has come to an end; but his struggles are recorded here for any to read. A year in the making, and spanning one hundred and fifty chapters… Violence, suspicion, loss, betrayal, revenge, power with a price, a fight for survival, ages-old mysteries... all thrust in the way of Edward Frost, a man simply trying to rebuild his life.

Chapter 1 can be found here.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Chapter 132: Place in the world

"I have never met anyone more inclined to rash decisions than you, Edward." Sirilonwe, as often seemed to be the case, was styling herself as the voice of reason in my life: "You cannot seriously mean to just walk into Vivec's Palace and ask him how to kill Dagoth Ur."

After telling Nibani Maesa what I truly thought about the Nerevarine prophecies, Sirilonwe and I had left the Urshilaku camp immediately - without speaking another word to anyone. I doubted that I could ever go back there, after what I had said - not without violence, at any rate.

I was obsessed, you could probably say. I just had to see to it that House Dagoth was destroyed: I could not stand the thought of all those Dunmer people lured by their sleeping and waking dreams to sickening places like Telasero; where they would likely die or become corrupted by Corprus.

"Vivec must know." I insisted. "I don't know who else I can turn to in this - and I don't know what I would do if House Dagoth is left to continue like it is. Look, Siri; knowing what you do about what's really happening to this place - to Vvardenfell, I mean - what else can we do?"

I think that what Sirilonwe had seen of the disfigured Sixth House monsters in Kogoruhn influenced her in my favour; she eventually agreed to my plan.


Not that it was much of a plan, really.

We stood outside Vivec's domed palace, at the southernmost tip of the holy city; readying ourselves to go in. The palace exterior was deserted; it was quite late at night, after all. The lack of guardsmen might have been puzzling, were the occupant of that palace not a living god. Lord Vivec needed no bodyguards, I was sure.


With sight augmented by the magical, vampiric blood in my veins, I looked through the single small door to the palace - with its complex lock and powerful electrical trap - and saw, or perhaps felt, a single, pulsating power inside. It had to be Vivec; and he was alone.

I felt a powerful sense of trepidation as I backed away to a safe distance and magically neutralised the lock and the trap. If the man-god inside objected strongly to our intrusion, we would likely not have a chance to retreat. To reassure myself as much as Sirilonwe, I said, with an attempted grin:

"I've read that Vivec is compassionate - so as long as we're polite..."

She only clenched her teeth, and followed me inside.


Vivec stared at me for what seemed like a long time, his large eyes not blinking once. He did not shine with divine light, or speak with a booming voice as I might have expected; but the sense of presence he exuded was almost unbearable. I felt helplessly drawn towards him, a feeling very similar to being dragged inexorably out to sea by the tide. An unpleasant feeling.

He looked much like an unusually tall Dunmer, and wore only a loin-cloth, a couple of arm-bands, and bonemold and chiton pauldrons - attached to a heavy golden necklace. Perhaps the strangest aspect of his appearance was his skin: it was two colours, rather than one. The left half of his body was grey, like the Dunmer; and the right half was golden, like the Altmer (only perhaps a little more bronzed). The colours met in a dead-straight line down his body: right from the top of his head, all the way down to his pelvis. He was sitting cross-legged and floating, unsupported, in the air above a three-sided dais.

As we stood and stared at the man-god, seemingly unable to say a single thing, Vivec raised one hand, and pointed at me. I suddenly felt afraid - I knew I was in great danger.

"You are uninvited." Vivec said, his voice flat and emotionless. "Why are you here?"

"Sorry for the intrusion," I said tentatively; somewhat cowed, "but the priests would never have allowed me in to see you had I simply asked."

"There are very good reasons for that, vampire. My attention must be on this land's enemy."

I shifted my weight. Suddenly I was feeling very weak; as if my strength was flowing out and into Vivec.

"That is why I'm here!" I struggled. "I've seen the Sixth House - I've fought the Sixth House. I want Dagoth Ur's destruction, and... I know about Kagrenac's Tools."

Vivec's expression did not change, but I was feeling still weaker. I fell to my knees, and realised I could feel something wet and sticky running into my mouth: my nose was bleeding.

"Edward..." Sirilonwe whispered, a pleading note in her voice. Her hands were tight on my shoulders.

"You do not endear yourself to me by speaking of our eternal shame;" Vivec said, still in his emotionless monotone; "but... I see your mind now."

At that, the horrible sensation of my strength leaving me stopped abruptly, and I was able to stand again. The man-god continued:

"You sincerely wish the end of Dagoth Ur."

There was a long pause, in which I steadied myself and wiped the blood from my face. My nose had stopped its spontaneous bleeding. Vivec's hand was resting on his knee once more.

"Why did you become a vampire?" He asked eventually. "Was it to escape death? Mortality?"

"I was dying." I replied, nodding slowly and carefully - worried at what would happen if I offended him somehow. "I wanted an escape from that."

Vivec nodded too, and said, surprisingly:

"I know how you felt... Mortality is a cruel reward at the end of a life dedicated to finding time for worthwhile and just endeavours. You said you know of Kagrenac's Tools; from accounts in the Apographa, no doubt. There is some truth in those accounts - so I would presume that you know of the manner in which Almalexia, Sotha Sil.... Dagoth Ur - and I - came into divine power?"

I recounted briefly what I had learned from the 'Kagrenac's Tools' essay that abbot Barelo had given me: about Wraithguard, Sunder and Keening - and the heart of the dead god Lorkhan. Vivec confirmed all this with a wordless nod, and then - again - said something I was not expecting:

"Have you ever tried to kill yourself?" He asked, darkly.

I was taken aback, and all that came to mind was:

"Well, there was that trick to the Puzzle Canal underneath your palace." I replied, frowning. That 'trick' - which essentially involved drowning oneself in the Puzzle Canal, to be revived near a secret shrine associated with the Pilgrimage of the Seven Graces - was quite an unpleasant memory for me.

Vivec grimaced slightly - the first expression of emotion I had seen him make.

"Yes... that test was constructed in the spirit of what I wanted to - one day - have the willpower to do. Well - perhaps want is the wrong word."

The man-god paused again - apparently lost in thought; even though his eyes never blinked, and never left mine.


"Destroying the heart of Lorkhan is the only way to strip Dagoth Ur of his immortality." Vivec said eventually. "I have known this for a very long time. The reason Almalexia, Sotha Sil and I have not done this ourselves is because destroying the heart would be akin to suicide for us. We too would be stripped of our divine powers; and in time - perhaps only a short time - we would die."

It all made sense - destroy the source of Dagoth Ur's power to destroy him. I thought I could also understand why it had not already happened: and what Vivec said next let me know that I was right:

"This is the shame I spoke of. The need for our eventual self-destruction was established when we first took the power of the heart - but until recently we deluded ourselves that we could escape this fate; Almalexia, Sotha Sil and I. Until recently, Dagoth Ur slept beneath the mountain." Vivec sighed - an odd sound, that gave the impression of a building settling. "Now he has awoken, and an army stirs in his shadow. We lost the chance to quietly do what was necessary by ourselves - in secret - and now raising a force to storm the heart-chamber would necessitate the disclosure of our shame to the world. For I do not think that - even now - Sotha Sil, Almalexia or I would have the strength of will to end it ourselves."

Vivec gazed at Sirilonwe and I with renewed intensity.

"I know who you are now. You - both of you - have power, but no real allegiance - nothing and no-one that would prevent you from..." He trailed off, and left the sentence hanging. "Yes, you have your 'ranks' in your guild of mages, but I can see that it means little to you: now, if not always. You have power; few in this land could stand against you - but you are still in the world. I have studied the immortals of Morrowind - and some are superior to you. The dark, ancient vampires deep in their holes in the ground: they could crush you - or almost anything they chose. But they do not: they stay in their holes, bored and waiting for the world outside to end."

"No - you are not all-powerful, Frost: but you still need this world - and that may be enough."

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joseph..
So does this mean, with or without, Vivec on your side? No Hortator, of the houses. No Nerevarine, for the four Ash-tribes.. Wait don't tell us!!

Cannot Spell..

Sunday, May 28, 2006 9:57:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been reading this since cahpter 10 was new, and I must say, it's been a great ride. I like how you fashion the dialouge and situations around a realistic world, not copying the game detail-for-detail. It makes it very suspenseful, as if I were playing Morrowind all over again but in a darker atmosphere.

Sunday, May 28, 2006 10:54:00 pm  
Blogger Sam said...

Well frost has rather decided to cut to the chase! Interesting though.

Monday, May 29, 2006 1:10:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vivec uses hacks...

Monday, May 29, 2006 8:30:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Person..
Recover three items, Redas' Tomb.
Faral Retheran - Redoran Treasury, Redoran Canton, Vivec.. She will ask for, Redas' Chalice, Redas' WarAxe, and Redas' Robe of Deeds.. Returning these three items to Faral, completes the quest..

Cannot Spell..
Looks like no-one whats to do this Trivia..

Monday, May 29, 2006 12:04:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He said climax...

Monday, May 29, 2006 1:16:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cannot spell was correct!

Don't tell me Joseph that your finishing up here?! Oh yeeeaaahhh... Caius said something about an informant didn't he? Gonna do the Tribunal Quests, then?

Morrowind Trivia - Who is Sinammu Mirpal?

Monday, May 29, 2006 5:38:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some Woman

Monday, May 29, 2006 8:05:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Person..
Sinammu Mirpal - Wise Women/Ashkhan of the Ahemmusa.. One of the four tribes to name you Nerevarine.. She asks you to make Ald Daedroth, a safe place for the Ahemmusa.. Once Ald Daedroth is safe for the Ahemmusa.. Sinammu will follow you to Ald Daedroth to stand before the idea/shrine of Sheogorath.. If Ald Daedroth is safe, she names you the Ahemmusa Nerevarine..

She also plays an part in the Mages Guild quest for Shink.. To talk to an Wise Women of the Ashlands.. Sinammu sends you to the Favel Tomb to see her apprentice, there you need to put to rest the spirit of Kanit Ashurnisammis, once this is done.. Sinammu allows the younger wise women to go to Sadrith Mora Mages Guild..

Trivia:
Who is Hlireni Indavel, whats her part, what does she do in Ald Daedroth..

Cannot Spell..

Monday, May 29, 2006 10:46:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cannot spell is correct!

Hlireni Indavel is a Daedra Worshipper in Ald Daedroth. She has ties to the quest to clear out Ald Daedroth for the Ahemmusa.

Morrowind Trivia - Who is Athanden Girith?

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 3:44:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Person..
Athanden Girith, the dunmer trader, can be found outside of Tel Vos along the path.. Some ashlanders took Athanden's shipment of guarhides.. The ashlanders are near the Ahemmusa.. Look for the packguar and campsite..

Afternote; Hlireni Lndavel's involment, or the roles she plays, the Mad God's Masque and Bellicase Ball.. Other than that you are correct..

Cannot Spell..

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 4:15:00 am  
Blogger Joseph said...

Thankyou everyone. :-)

Matar: Vivec *is* pretty bloody powerful; level 100, apparently. I suppose he is a living god, after all.


I learned something interesting recently: there are actually other ways in the game to do this part of the main quest that I didn't know about:

See here (MW main quest spoilers)

- Joseph.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 2:21:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Correctamundo Cannot spell!

That is interesting
Joseph. I certainly never knew about the second alternate route...

Morrowind Trivia - Where is the Book "Bal Morag Ker's Researches"?

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 2:41:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joseph..
So are you going to do??
UESP, Alternate Route #2: Just Wait.. The Mainline charaters; Mehra Milo, Divayth Fyr, Nibani Maesa, Athyn Sarethi, and Crassius Curio.. They all give this message: All are disappointed and concerned that you had not fulfilled the Nerevarine prophecies. That the Archcanon, Tholer Saryoni, is desperate, hopes that you go to the High Fane..

So what do you do.. Raven Rock..
Bloodmoon is mostly outside..

-Cannot Spell..

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 8:15:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trivia..
The final words of an dying man.. His death story very comical indeed.. To anyone who shall find me.. I hope I am able to bring them to laughter.. He mistake's an healing potion, for one of poision.. Who is he.. where do you find him.. Hint - An dying man note..

-Cannot Spell

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 8:43:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

His name is Peke Utchoo (Pikachu) and you find him in Mudan, an underwater dwemer ruin.

-Noozooroo

Thursday, June 01, 2006 10:38:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta catch 'em all, gotta catch 'em all, Morrowind! OK, crappy, but how 'bout this:

Gotta unite 'em all, gotta unite 'em all: Ashlanders!

Frost wants to be the very best, like no one ever was! To bribe them is his real quest, to suck blood is his cause!! He will travel across the land, searching far and wide! These Corprus beasts, to understand the Nerevar thats inside!

MORROWIND! His courage will pull him through! He'll hurt them and they'll hurt him, MORROWIND!!!! Gotta kill 'em all, gotta kill 'em all, MORROWIND!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I actually know most of that theme song for Pokemon.

-Noozooroo

Thursday, June 01, 2006 10:46:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home